Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Cupcake Store

My wife and I went out for lunch recently and afterward she said she wanted a cupcake form the cupcake store. I played along, and soon realized she was serious when we walked a few stores down in the building to find The Cupcake Store.

There was a small store that did cupcakes and coffee. We bought a few cupcakes from a very nice lady and went on our way. We ate them on the way home and they were good, but they were cupcakes. I'm not a big sweets guy, but my wife loves them. She enjoyed the treat but mentioned that has to be a hard business.

I would agree, and it's a very niche-y business. Not a lot of people would go out of their way for a cupcake, but I could be wrong. I am sure you can't support many of those stores in an area, but maybe one works. However you need to sell a lot of $2.00 cupcakes to make money and I'm not sure how many people will support you.

To be fair, I think there are a lot of things one could do. Offer these cupcakes as desserts in restaurants and other stores, taking a smaller profit in order to grow volume. Perhaps look to advertise and get more party deals, office buildings, etc. I don't know if they are trying any of these things, but I hope they do. A small business like that is a neat idea and I would like to see is succeed.

I'll keep an eye and see if they survive. I know I'll at least go there one more time with my daughter. They sell frosting shots, and that's about all she wants out of a cupcake.

No comments: