Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Basic Customer Service

We've all had many customer service experience, some good, some bad, but I know that there is almost always room for improvement. While you cannot please everyone, doing the little things can really help improve your reputation, and hopefully, your business.

Recently I was coming back from dropping my kids off at school and I noticed that work was being done at the house across from my mailbox. There was a new garage going up, pole barn style, and the crew had worked fairly quickly and efficiently to get it done. I try to pay attention because contractors are hard to find, especially those that work efficiently and quickly. While I'd like to talk to the homeowner before I use them, I decided to stop and talk to the contractors.

I walked up and asked if they guys doing the work were the ones contracted since often they sub crews. One of the men said it was his father's business, and then asked if he could help. I said that I was looking to have an awning built on our barn and I was hoping to get an estimate.

Now at this point there are a few things that could happen:
1. He could offer to come over and do the estimate (or schedule it with me).
2. He could call someone to do the estimate.

I was kind of expecting one of these, but instead I got a third option. He gave me his father's card and said I should call him. Not a horrible bit of customer service, but it was a little inconvenient for me. I have to track down his father, schedule things, explain my story again, etc.

I can completely understand that perhaps this guy doesn't want to do the estimate, or his father doesn't let him. It was good he had a card and gave one to me, but he could have improved this easily.

My preference would be that he call his father and tell him I need an estimate or even that he ask me if he could have my number or if I'd like a card. Give me the choice and allow me to then choose what makes the most sense. My wife would probably be happy calling someone rather than giving out her number, but for me I would have preferred that someone set it up for me.

They guys were nice and helpful, but for sure I thought this was a place where customer service could be improved. What I would really have preferred is he come over, look at what I need, measure things, and then call his Dad, letting him work up the bid.

I'll call him and schedule something, but I'm definitely not as thrilled with these guys as I was before I stopped by.

No comments: