Thursday, March 12, 2009

Grass Roots Marketing

When I started in the technical business, almost no one had a laptop. And for a long time, those that did have laptops were carrying corporate laptops. With the need to take care of those machines and turn them in at some point, people were careful with them and did not “alter” them.laptop_stickers_4

Over the years, with the salaries being paid, people moving in and out of consulting, and the lower prices of machines, people are starting to purchase their own machines more and more.

And some manufacturer’s are taking advantage of that. Alienware, shown here, has a distinctive design that appeals to gamers. Those machines are a high end commodity, and I’m not sure if this helps sales, but there is brand recognition here.

laptop_stickers_5 At a recent conference, I noticed that a few people were handing out stickers for people to put on their laptops. At first I wasn’t sure how valuable or how well this would work, but I noticed more and more appearing on laptops.

And the more they were noticed by other people, the more those people started to put them on their personal machines. the one to the left is someone’s laptop that I never thought would put one on there.

So I decided to get some.

It’s a little bit of a me-too move, but you also ought to be able to recognize a good idea and implement it. Not everything you do has to be original, and borrowing an idea here and there can help your business.

As with most things, I started a quick Google search, found a few sites, went with one and ordered stickers. I’ll carry a bunch around in my bag and send some to friends to spread the word. Hopefully this will help promote my sites over time.

No comments: